What's new

Controllers are causing stuttering and lag

-K7-

I've been playing 2 player games with a few friends- namely Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party, and i've noticed that the game is all of a sudden stopping dead every few seconds for just a fraction of a second and sometimes longer.

I noticed it was worse with 2 controllers although with one it was present but barely noticeable. To test that idea, we tried trading off and using only one controller at a time and the freezing was the same as 1 player games. I tried letting mario party run with only com players and there was no lag. So, it's something to do with the controller or the plugin, but I don't know what to do about it.

Here's my specs:
Athlon XP1800
256mb DDR
Radeon 64DDR VIVO
Sound Blaster Live! Value
Thrustmaster Firestorm Digital 2 (12-button gamepad, no stick)
Windows XP Pro, SP1 (yeah i know, but it's good at other stuff)
PJ64 1.5 final
N-Rage's Direct Input 8 v2 1.81a
Jabo's D3D6 1.5
Jabo's Direct Sound 1.5

I configured everything for each game according to the Game-FAQ in the help, and for some reason many games aren't affected, such as Duke Nukem: Zero Hour.

Oh by the way, all the games are only running about 80% full speed or so, there's not a frame-skipper like in the SNES emu days is there? (not really expecting there to be, but might as well ask while i'm here)

jollyrancher

i've noticed that the game is all of a sudden stopping dead every few seconds for just a fraction of a second and sometimes longer.

It's not a controller problem.... it's a known problem with the gfx plugin... some sort of texture caching bug.... pauses and shit... try Jabo's 1.4 plugin (from pj64 1.4) and get back to us...

Last edited:
OP
K

-K7-

Yeah, switching plugins fixed the problem, thanks. Too bad Mario Party doesn't work right with 1.4; it's the main game we play.
Sure hope Jabo is working on a 1.6.

SlapnMachine

Try disabling 'sync game to audio' in the sound plugin configuration. Many games run ~80% for me as well with this enabled, but will run full speed (60 for NTSC 'U', 50 for PAL 'E') with it disabled. For the most part this won't affect sound quality, though there are a few exceptions.

P4 1.6a @ 2.0
Asus P4B266-C
256MB Kingston 266 DDR
256MB Kingmax 333 DDR
GF3 Ti200
SB Live Value
Interact Hammerhead FX (excellent for emu's)
Win98 bog standard edition
same emu & plugins

jack

This isn't a controller bug you buffoon. Try reading the faq for once and stop asking questions already addressed elsewhere. The game info clearly says this is well known problem. Its related to the way jabo1.5 unload textures. You fix it by using older version of jabo. Read the faq and use the search function[or your brain] next time.

OP
K

-K7-

I'm sorry, jack, but we can't all be a born-genius like you. If you really want to be a help, you can start giving out usefull information rather than screaming at everyone like a 10 year old kid for no reason. If you could just pull your thumb out of your ass for a few minutes and think, you would realize that you just make yourself look pretty sad when you find a question that's already been answered for 2 days and then add your own completely pointless and ignorant rant.
So for the record, jack, I think you would do better to spend some time out in real life where acting like you have been would get you dismembered. I've heard the term "one brick short of a load" and, well, you must be that brick.

Romboy

http://www.stormfront.org
-K7- said:
Yeah, switching plugins fixed the problem, thanks. Too bad Mario Party doesn't work right with 1.4; it's the main game we play.
Sure hope Jabo is working on a 1.6.

I thought that 1.5 was the final release. But you can hope I guess...

OP
K

-K7-

Got to admit, if you were an author thinking about working on Pj64 1.6 or D3D 1.6, wouldn't you do it secretly to avoid spam?

No, I don't really expect a new one, but you never know. The bug in 1.5 that causes the lag hasn't been affecting me since I messed up a video driver update though, so I've been using 1.5 problem-free for a few days and I'm pretty well happy with the way everything's running; PJ64 is pretty impressive work for only having a handful of releases.

jack

cooliscool said:
Shut your fucking face and drink some gas.

Does anyone know if this guy speaks english? It seems all he know is trollish.

Maybe he should get back in his cave before the sun rise and he get turn into stone.

jack

cooliscool said:
Funny. Very funny.

Listen, no body gives a shit what you think about them. Calling people names here for no reason ("big buffoon?") isn't cool nor tolerated. Oh, lets not forget how you acted on the Zsnes board. what did that result in? Ban? <_<

What? So is this all a case of mistaken identity? Boy I bet you feel pretty stupid right about now.

Lookie here, do you have something against another person name jack because I don't think we've ever met before. Just because I'm named jack doesn't mean I'm the person who you think I am. But then again you should've already realised that the inet is a vast and faceless place where names are as a good and reliable judge of character as the words that are typed.

Just in case you got lost there, what I'm saying is don't assume someone is who you think they are just because they have similar alias. You know what they say about assumptions.

Now if you don't mind, I have a website to build. Tata.

Last edited:

jack

cooliscool said:
Wow, good for you. Infact, everyone that visits this bored as well as the zsnes board knows it's you, just by the way you talk. No, i don't feel stupid one bit. It's you who should be feeling stupid.

I see there is no reason to continue a pointless discussion if you are failing to admit your denile.

For the last time, I am not, never, nor ever will be the jack you mistaken me for. My name is based upon the character in MGS2 and that is a very popular game IIRC. The possibility that someone is name jack is extremely high.

Now to end this topic: Moderates I request you close this thread and raise cooliscool's warning level as a warning to him for deliberate trolling/spamming/and flaming.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
No, i deleted my posts not to admit defeat, but to avoid any problems. Ok, but i guess i should apologize. I'm sorry.

bodie

jack i am not going to give a warning to somebody else when you clearly seem to have a 'problem' .. calling people "buffoon" so early in the thread is not exactly going to get a cheerful witty retort now is it .. i shall be watching your posts in future so i should change your attitude around here and not to be so disrespectful to people and especially not to cause a post on a legitimate problem (for him,or any other) to be closed through ill feeling to others ..
regards bodie
p.s please keep any posts after this 'on topic' and in keeping with the title of the thread or warnings will be given ... thankyou

Last edited: