What's new

version ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
crewde

crewde

and why is it compressed with UPX? i have found in the past that exe packing can downgrade the quality and cause features to be buggy... packing is also not friendly at all to specific versions of windows... wats the deal on that

Quvack

crewde said:
why do u report it as version 1.0 when in reality it is version 1.0.27 ?

Why ask such a trivial question? It is version 1.0 because it is the 1st version of UltraHLE 2064 to be released to the public.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
Are U talking about UltraHLE 2064 ?
Where dos it say its 10.027 ? It says 1.0.0.1 on mine ;]

IPX is used so the file would be smaller.
Not all windows like UPX ?
Win 98 does , Win 98 SE does, Win 2k does, Win ME does, Win XP Pro does , don tell me UR using 3.11 ? ;]

OP
crewde

crewde

in the version info it says 1.0.27

anyways, my xp indeed does not like UPX. lol infact, it hates it.. i have to switch compatibility modes for some apps.... it does appear that uhle 2064 is working fine tho on my system w/o changing modes, but who knows... maybe im getting errores b/c of the compression.

seems fishy to me too cuz its easy to add backdoors to programs with packing programs. my virus scan didnt pick anything up and im not accusing u guys of putting anything in there, but wouldnt it be just a whole lot better to not pack it for weary people like myself? c

nice work on the emu by the way, im looking forward to future releases... looks very promising

OP
crewde

crewde

if they the same then y not make a standard number rather than two... lol but its not a big deal, i drop my arguement

aprentice

crewde said:
seems fishy to me too cuz its easy to add backdoors to programs with packing programs. my virus scan didnt pick anything up and im not accusing u guys of putting anything in there, but wouldnt it be just a whole lot better to not pack it for weary people like myself?

I can assure you there is no backdoor/virus. We will continue to pack it with upx and its up to you if you want to run the executable or not.

Slougi

aprentice said:
I can assure you there is no backdoor/virus. We will continue to pack it with upx and its up to you if you want to run the executable or not.
Are you telling me that thing with the pr0n gathering through the new uhle was just a joke?! You seemed so serious about it. :(
No pr0n streaming straight from unsuspecting emu users i guess then.

OP
crewde

crewde

i wish you would go a diff route, b/c i am assuring you that paking can and prolly does cause some of your bugs...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
there is really no need to pack it with upx, the zip file compresses it enough, and its not like peoples hard drives will miss a few hundred kb.

OP
crewde

crewde

packing the program would not deter people from obtaining the source.... there is no way out there to obtain a source of a closed-source program, packed or unpacked.

Quvack

crewde said:
packing the program would not deter people from obtaining the source.... there is no way out there to obtain a source of a closed-source program, packed or unpacked.

Maybe so, but packing also 'helps' to stop asshole lamers from taking the emu and hacking its resources.

And I think by source file, Azi means the exe file, not people obtaining the source from the exe.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
crewde said:
i wish you would go a diff route, b/c i am assuring you that paking can and prolly does cause some of your bugs...

so why dont you unpack the exe and then run it ?

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
If the EXE is packed with UPX AFAIK it can be unpacked using UPX

Ultimate Packer for eXecutables
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
UPX 1.24w Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer & Laszlo Molnar Nov 7th 2002

Usage: upx [-123456789dlthVL] [-qvfk] [-o file] file..

Commands:
-1 compress faster
-9 compress better
-d decompress
-l list compressed file
-t test compressed file
-V display version number
-h give more help
-L display software license
Options:
-q be quiet
-v be verbose
-oFILE write output to `FILE'
-f force compression of suspicious files
-k keep backup files
file.. executables to (de)compress

Last edited:
OP
crewde

crewde

works fine when unpacked... u can unpack the main exe, the xengine dlls, and the audio/gfx plugins... ill report if i find anything working better or not....

verta

I totally disagree with compressing the binary file. I understand it decompress to memory, but that means it only anther thing which can go wrong and cause problems for emulation. I dont see what all the fuss about the the emulator being hacked, we are well aware who contributed/ made the emulator. If someone is stupid enough to hack it, then they surely deserve to be flamed.

I mean, it isnt as if the file cannot be decompressed, upx has been around for a long time. Not to mention is doesnt take a really smart person to figure out the -d switch.

In all honestly I just think it can cause more problems, then security. Its reversable, and 1 meg file doesnt amount to anything these days.

Last edited:

aprentice

Everyone keeps complaining about our practice of packing exe files, but when in reality other emu's do the same but noone complains. Does anyone have a problem with pj64?

[Edit]

Also, the people who complain about the exe packed are the people who try to use a disassember or resource editor, otherwise, How would you know its packed? :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.