What's new

PSX emulation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

saywhat

hello I m interested in psx (ps1) emulation...I am willing to buy some originila (second hand) psx cds that I ve spotted but I have to know if tha emulation can have good result.
how do the games play? are they fast?
will I have good results on my pc? which should be the best emulation for it? (it should play most games ...)
My specs:
Intel P3 at 733Mhz 320Mb ram
3d Blaster Riva TNT2
Sb Live! value
Win98
Dx8.1

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
I'll guide you towards http://www.epsxe.com/

ePSXe is the best free emulator for the PSX. You should be able to run a lot of games with your spec system, and at full speed.

If you were thinking of specific games you should name them to get a helpfull answer. :)

Merry Xmas :holiday:

Vchat20

speaking of ePSXe, do the games run as fast as the BIOS? Cuz my system (333MHZ 160MB RAM) runs the BIOS at the perfect speed.

P.S. For some reason, my cousin has a 533MHZ 64MB RAM sys, and the PSX BIOS on ePSXe runs too fast on hers. It goes through the logo screen in like 2 or 3 secs.

MECCA

Vchat20 said:
speaking of ePSXe, do the games run as fast as the BIOS? Cuz my system (333MHZ 160MB RAM) runs the BIOS at the perfect speed.

P.S. For some reason, my cousin has a 533MHZ 64MB RAM sys, and the PSX BIOS on ePSXe runs too fast on hers. It goes through the logo screen in like 2 or 3 secs.

i doubt that matters. games like Breath of Fire should run full speed but for other full 3D games like Chrono Cross and GT2 your better off using Connectix or a software plugin unless you like playing with no sound :p.

OP
S

saywhat

I was thinking about Smackdown 1 and 2,Tekken 1,2,3 Darkstalkers 3,Carmageddon 1,2 would they work ok?

UltraThing

Tekken 3 works just about flawlessly, and with Pete's OpenGL plugin its absolutely beautiful, too.

Just like w/ N64 emulation (but even more so) the question of whether a game will play well in ePSXe is not a black and white thing. For example, in FFIX, every time there is a battle there is a swirling transition effect that takes you to the battle screen ... this transition effect runs very very slowly in ePSXe, but once the battle scene begins the framerate goes back to normal. It's tolerable. This happens even on relatively fast machines ... mine's a Epox 8KHA+, Athlon XP1700+, 512mb DDR, GF4 Ti4400.

Also, some games just plain don't work. Road Rash 3D is one that will not play. I was pretty disappointed about that. Tiger Woods 99 "plays" buts its not "playable."

I really enjoy the N64 emulation but I never got too much into PSX emulation ... one reason why is that you really need to copy the game to your harddrive to get optimal performance from your machine (do this with Isobuster). PSX games are pretty huge,so your harddrive free space will suffer. I've got about 14 games on my harddrive and they take up over 12GB (this includes some multidisk games like MGS and FFVII and IX). BTW, these are my own games. What you do is your business. If youre wondering why I would bother to play my own games in ePSXe rather than in the actual console, its because they look soooo much better and they load sooooo much faster in ePSXe that my PSX console has become nothing but a bookend now. (Except for when I get the urge to play some Road Rash)

Vchat20

Well, there wouldnt be any reason for me to try and download PSX games, cuz I have a 56K connection here. But I can just as simply either borrow some from my cousin, or go to the local funcoland and get one for about $5.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
MECCA said:
i doubt that matters. games like Breath of Fire should run full speed but for other full 3D games like Chrono Cross and GT2 your better off using Connectix or a software plugin unless you like playing with no sound :p.

Um, what do you mean? How come sound and 3d hardware acceleration are alternatives. I've played Chrono Cross to the end of the 1st cd with sound and with Lewpy's Glide plugin. And to my misfortune the cd is scrathed so that it jams on the cd change even on the real psx. Using software plugin w/ sound is more CPU expensive than 3D HW Accel w/ sound. Maybe i misunderstood.

MECCA

euphoria said:
Um, what do you mean? How come sound and 3d hardware acceleration are alternatives. I've played Chrono Cross to the end of the 1st cd with sound and with Lewpy's Glide plugin. And to my misfortune the cd is scrathed so that it jams on the cd change even on the real psx. Using software plugin w/ sound is more CPU expensive than 3D HW Accel w/ sound. Maybe i misunderstood.

Basically a software gpu such as PEOpS renders the same quality image as you would get from VGS. No texture filtering+no fsaa+no bilinear filtering = more speed. another positive is that special effects such as motion blur and the swirl effects in FF games run faster than 2 frames per second. Still, it looks like shit but if you play from a distance it aint that bad :D

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I just (4 hours ago) got Final Fantasy 9 and it runs perfectly with pete's OpenGL/Audio plugin in ePSXe. I had a few speed issues, but once I made ISOs of the disks and ran it from them I had no problems :)

If your using Pete's video plugins play around with the settings while ingame. Use Delete to make the options show up, pressing Insert shows you a description. You can move through the options with Page up/down and change the settings with Home/End.

:holiday:

Reznor007

MECCA said:
Basically a software gpu such as PEOpS renders the same quality image as you would get from VGS. No texture filtering+no fsaa+no bilinear filtering = more speed. another positive is that special effects such as motion blur and the swirl effects in FF games run faster than 2 frames per second. Still, it looks like shit but if you play from a distance it aint that bad :D

Texture filtering and bilinear filtering are the same thing ;)

The software plugins are more accurate too.

Vchat20

requesting bios' is warez talk. legally i would assume you would have to find a way to rip the bios from your ps1 directly. morally, it would be safe to download them if you own the system.

in any case, just google for it and you will find your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.