What's new

Re-Living The Old Days :)

Keith

The Show Must Go On!
Administrator
Man I haven't had this much fun in a long time, here is the basic story of what I have been doing over the past few days ...

Well I finally got around to putting together my 3rd computer and decided to stick this one out in the front room (My other two are in my computer room). It's not too bad considering it is built with spare parts I had leftover from previous upgrades to my other computers. It's a 900 MHz Duron, 128 mb RAM, ATI Xpert 98 w/tv-out (I know this card sucks but it's all I had with tv-out until I buy a new one).

Anyways, I decided to put it out in my front room like I said a second ago, and hooked it up to my home theater system. So now I have it hooked up to my surround sound system and hooked up to my TV with s-video. My main reason for this is to listen to mp3s, and watch some movies, but I also wanted to throw some emulators on there and see how it looks on the tv. Man I was really surprised how nice it looks (remember I am using this crap video card right now too). So I have been playing some of my old favorites, tons of Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafix 16 games, and some others. I totaly forgot how much fun it is to play these old classics ... just to let some of you know that I am 25, so it has been awhile since I have been a kid. I also have been using RockNES which allows you to use Super Eagle, 2xSuperSaI, and 2xSaI video filtering, and man it really cleans up those crappy NES graphics .. so that is a nice advantage over the real thing. The one nice thing about this is now I can relax and just lay back on the couch and play games instead of sitting in front of my computer ... just doesn't feel the same as laying out on the couch. Also now I have all these systems on one system so I don't have to pull out all the old systems out of the closet whenever I get the urge to play some old classics. ;)

Anyway I just thought I would mention this, and if you can, you should really try this it's great. :D

Slougi

Yeah playing on a TV gives a completely different feel to the games. Recently finished Sonic CD and wow it was fun :)

Acorn

/Rant mode on
I've got a good quality TV, but I have to disagree : / Using an ATI All in Wonder card, using a Leadtek Geforce 2, or using my old S3 crap TV out card, all TV's still look like.... shit.

A 21'' mon beats the crapola out of almost any sized TV.. unless you get those ones they use in TV studios (no thx, I have better things to do with my $100,000+ =).

I grew up playing Atari games on the TV... and Atari games look fine on the TV. Maybe NES... but SNES or higher blows ;)

/Rant mode off

Oh well, thats why I'll never buy another console emu. The games may rock but if you can't enjoy playing them...

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i disagree. how come the games on the n64 look so much better on tv with a real n64, than on a monitor with an emu that emulates the game with MUCH better gfx, i.e ames like mario?

tv just looks and fills better, and i want a tv out. in fact to prove it, i hav my old megadrive connected to my pc's tv card, as i wanted to see if would work when i eventually get my ps2. and the quality is shite, i know its completely different, but still i can compare an emulator to the real thing, and the real thing on a tv looks the best hands down.

Slougi

You know play mario 64 on a tv using a normal n64, then play it using pj64k, also on a tv... The gfx of pj64 are wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead :D just use 4xfsaa and anisotropic filtering ;)