What's new

The Downside of Cel-shading

blizz

major spoilers in here ladies

right I was pretty much sold on the new Zelda design, a lot of the original characters, such as the pirate girl, and Link in the blue tunic with hair look cool

but then I saw these screens

http://www.cubenation.com/images/news/zelda/capture18.jpg
http://www.cubenation.com/images/news/zelda/capture43.jpg

check more of then out here:

http://www.cubenation.com/news.php and scroll down further for nicer screens from the same game with better character designs

it just seems imo that the characters designed for this game have come out better than the originals have

OP
blizz

blizz

did you see what Zelda looks like now, in a strange way I'd enjoy killing ganondorf even more, but dammit Zelda isn't supposed to look freaky!!

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
me i don't like the new design oh and jevil... that character in your sig where is it from?? but uh if the game play is good then bah who cares.. also that matrix games loooks nice!

Last edited:

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Cel-Shading is the biggest pile of shit the video game industry has ever seen!

Nintendo Guy 1: "Wow, consoles are so powerful these days, the possibilities are endless! We can have almost photo realistic graphics"
Nintendo Guy 2: "Yeah. Hey, want to make Zelda look like a cartoon?"
Nintendo Guy 1: "What a great idea! I mean, we could make Zelda the shittest game ever, AND THE FANBOYS WOULD STILL SAY IT'S GREAT AND GO BUY IT!"

<_<

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Jaz said:

Nintendo Guy 1: "Wow, consoles are so powerful these days, the possibilities are endless! We can have almost photo realistic graphics"
Nintendo Guy 1: "What a great idea! I mean, we could make Zelda the shittest game ever, AND THE FANBOYS WOULD STILL SAY IT'S GREAT AND GO BUY IT!"

<_<

I disagree, personally, I think that the graphics looks awsome and the catoonish look is good for an interesting change.

Josep

eyerun4phun
Jaz said:

<_<

i'd like to see them get as realistic as the wanted to;) see how much that bitch would have lagged on a GC;) hahaha

OP
blizz

blizz

Josep said:
i'd like to see them get as realistic as the wanted to;) see how much that bitch would have lagged on a GC;) hahaha

no they can make it look like REmake but remember the controls would have to be shit ;)

anyway, I stand by my premise that they fucked up reinventing the original characters into this style, I like the screens of Link in his blue tunic with scruffy blonde hair but the traditional green tunic looks poor in comparison

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
The new link looks like a deformed freak of nature... I WANT TO PLAY the much better looking THE LEGEND OF ZELDA I SAW AT E3 you know from teh demo with zelda and link fighting....

OP
blizz

blizz

jvolel said:
The new link looks like a deformed freak of nature... I WANT TO PLAY the much better looking THE LEGEND OF ZELDA I SAW AT E3 you know from teh demo with zelda and link fighting....

I don't, Link looked like a girl!!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Jaz said:

<_<
Way to go, Jaz!
I agree to the fullest!

OP
blizz

blizz

Jaz said:

<_<

or you could be from Capcom

Capcom Guy 1: "Hey we can do almost photo realistic graphics now."
Capcom Guy 2: "Yeah. Hey lets make the game look great but play like the dog dinner after it's been eaten, oh and online too."
Capcom Guy 1: "Wow great idea, we could make the shitest game ever, and REmake it for future consoles and because the fanboys are so fucking stupid they'll keep on buying it."

or if you're Konami:

Konami Guy 1: "Damm fanboys bitching about MGS2. Haven't they heard of philosophy, ethics or a bad sequel is putting the same shit out again only there's more of it?"
Konami Guy 2: "Hey why don't we redo the game to suck more of those idiots money."
Konami Guy 1: "Yeah great idea. We need to give it some stupid sub-title though, how does "Substance" sound?

/me is going to do more of these

Last edited:

Josep

eyerun4phun
blizz said:
or you could be from Capcom

Capcom Guy 1: "Hey we can do almost photo realistic graphics now."
Capcom Guy 2: "Yeah. Hey lets make the game look great but play like the dog dinner after it's been eaten, oh and online too."
Capcom Guy 1: "Wow great idea, we could make the shitest game ever, and REmake it for future consoles and because the fanboys are so fucking stupid they'll keep on buying it."

or if you're Konami:

Konami Guy 1: "Damm fanboys bitching about MGS2. Haven't they heard of philosophy, ethics or a bad sequel is putting the same shit out again only there's more of it?"
Konami Guy 2: "Hey why don't we redo the game to suck more of those idiots money."
Konami Guy 1: "Yeah great idea. We need to give it some stupid sub-title though, how does "Substance" sound?

/me is going to do more of these

coming from the top of your head there?;)

/me checks the roster list

nope, doesn't look like you work for konami or Capcom;) :happy:

anyway, you completely forgot to address the issue if GC could even handle zelda with extremely high detail like you wanted...and who knows? Maybe its a setup, throw an ok looking one out and then slam it with an insanely good one next year, good for marketing;) but then again i don't work for these companies:happy:

UltraThing

I think that the celda idea was pure genius. To me it looks awesome, and fantastic in the sense of being "like or reminding one of a fantasy."

If they had tried to go photorealistic with Zelda (which they may still do later of course) it would have inevitably been getting compared to every other game out there on the market with awesome graphics but shitty or redundant gameplay. It could have been lost in the wash if it looked like every other game getting released. Since it is cel-shaded, it defies direct comparison to the graphics of other games, and even though a lot of people are upset about it, it will still cause the press to concentrate more on plot and gameplay when reviewing the game. I honestly believe that Zelda would not have gotten the 40/40 score over in Japan last week if it had the usual graphics. Look at Metroid Prime - Nintendo releases a masterpiece and hardly anyone blinks. Well, people blinked of course but immediately you got the inevitable comparisons to SplinterCell, Halo, and the ubiquitous PC FPS - totally different games when it comes to gamplay and style, but that didn't stop the ignorant.

I'm giving Zelda the same open-minded, unbiased chance to thrill me that the fans in Japan gave it ... 407,000 sold in two days.

OP
blizz

blizz

Josep said:
anyway, you completely forgot to address the issue if GC could even handle zelda with extremely high detail like you wanted

the gamecube can do that detail but that would affect the draw distance, which is oh so good in Zelda: TWW

UltraThing: yup it does make it stand out

I have issues with the design of Zelda but the rest are a from ok to cool

ra5555

N64 Newbie
UltraThing said:
I think that the celda idea was pure genius. To me it looks awesome, and fantastic in the sense of being "like or reminding one of a fantasy."

If they had tried to go photorealistic with Zelda (which they may still do later of course) it would have inevitably been getting compared to every other game out there on the market with awesome graphics but shitty or redundant gameplay. It could have been lost in the wash if it looked like every other game getting released. Since it is cel-shaded, it defies direct comparison to the graphics of other games, and even though a lot of people are upset about it, it will still cause the press to concentrate more on plot and gameplay when reviewing the game. I honestly believe that Zelda would not have gotten the 40/40 score over in Japan last week if it had the usual graphics. Look at Metroid Prime - Nintendo releases a masterpiece and hardly anyone blinks. Well, people blinked of course but immediately you got the inevitable comparisons to SplinterCell, Halo, and the ubiquitous PC FPS - totally different games when it comes to gamplay and style, but that didn't stop the ignorant.

I'm giving Zelda the same open-minded, unbiased chance to thrill me that the fans in Japan gave it ... 407,000 sold in two days.

nicely put :n64:

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Jaz said:
AND THE FANBOYS WOULD STILL SAY IT'S GREAT

ra5555 said:
I disagree, personally, I think that the graphics looks awsome and the catoonish look is good for an interesting change.

I rest my case.. <_<

Last edited: