What's new

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals

JedUK

Disco Banana
Just seen the new GC ad
it had a clip of crystal chronicals
some guy smashing a monster
only prob is that it looked like it could have been a real time battle anybody know if it is or isnt
it might just have been a turn based one where they move like Skies Of Arcadia on the DC that was koo

I DONT WANT A REAL TIME BATTLE SYSTEM

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
>_<
All ff games are real time stupid...
Only the old weren't. Why don't you want a real-time battle system? <_<

Eagle

aka Alshain
He doesnt mean Real Time Battle which all of them have had since the SNES, he means real time rpg as opposed to turn based rpg. The turn based style of FF is part of what makes it final fantasy, if you change that, its no longer final fantasy. If you dont want a turn based system, go play Zelda.

blizz

gone are the days where you can wonder off mid battle when your turn has come again, worrying over what attack to use next

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
Turn based battles are funny, you see enemies line up and stand there staring at each other waiting to get smacked around... where as real time you don't just stand there and wait to get hit you go attack them before they can blink. (Which makes a lot more sense) Though I did enjoy FFX and FF3 (so don't think am putting down Turn based battles, I just think the whole concept of turn based battles is kind of funny.

That’s like going to war in real life or have a fist fight with someone and waiting for your turn to attack. lol if any war was fought like that we'd all be dead.

OH and ff crystal chronicles will be real time ala Secret of mana, so it’s going to be like Zelda in a way. Also no battle in FF was real time it was all turn based.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Eagle said:
The turn based style of FF is part of what makes it final fantasy, if you change that, its no longer final fantasy.

Seiken Densetsu...whats that game called over at the US of A? :devil:

i know thats sorta weak, but thats why theres a "Crystal Chronical" attached to the title, its just a minor hint that this game is not part of the main series. And yes, this game is confirmed to be real-time...perhaps even multiplayer real-time (Seiken Densetsu 2 style?i can only hope).

Last edited:

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
pj64er said:
Seiken Densetsu...whats that game called over at the US of A? :devil:

i know thats sorta weak, but thats why theres a "Crystal Chronical" attached to the title, its just a minor hint that this game is not part of the main series. And yes, this game is confirmed to be real-time...perhaps even multiplayer real-time (Seiken Densetsu 2 style?i can only hope).

yup yup and uh not sure but uhhhh yup :happy: if its not 2-3-4 player i swear am gonna :cry:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, jvolel, thats true but in turn based battles you can strategize more whereas in real time battles, you can slash the hell out of them and thats it. Very hard to push a button a gazillion times to kill a creature... I think not. In the turnbased games you can select the manauver you want them to perform.

Cyberman

Turn based versus RT combat

I prefer the turn based honestly.. then again I prefer spending a few hundred hours playing an RPG myself instead of hacking through things mindlessly. RT lobotamizes the thinking aspect.

Xeno gears was a pretty good adaptation between the two, but still was turn based. Granted it's not 'realistic' but in reality you can't think all your moves through in combat. Also .. the point of the game isn't the combat often the point is acomplishing goals in the game.

SoulReaver though was fun but anoying for me. I prefer thinking through things to seeing if my reflexes are fast enough, because I've found that most of the UI's SUCK for real time combat and it just frustrates me I can't hit the damn button as fast as I can think the move. Go figure :)

Cyb

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
Seiken Densetsu..

Yeah, SD1 is Final Fantasy Adventure over here (GB), SD2 is Secret of Mana (SNES) (lovely game), and SD3 was never released.. (also a lovely game).. Its one of my favorite SNES series actually. I think Secret of Mana is one of the few games I've beat for the SNES, since I had to allways play it at a friends since i've never owned one.

-Angechu

OP
JedUK

JedUK

Disco Banana
by real time i meant zelda style not final fantasy ATB style

I dont want a zelda style real time battle system because it is no challenge and it is, in my opinion, not RPG it is platform (zeldas for the N64)

I completed Ocarina but i didnt like it I like the snes version best

my point is that I want the same battle system i want rpg the same rpg action i experienced in the amazing Final Fantasy VII not the total dispointment that was zelda 64 and even FFX

OP
JedUK

JedUK

Disco Banana
Yeah PSO rox

heard it was comin out on xbox and GC

cool if crystal chronicals was like that but only if it was online

that is the only time real time zelda battle style iss alowed

Last edited:

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
I disagree with the whole "mindless hack and slash" thats more like diablo 1,2... i guess some of you never played sd3 where u sometimes couldnt just try to mindlessly hack and slash your way to victory. Espcially when u went against the mana beast on their mana... err day, i remember if you fought a salamander type of mana beast on salamander day you would hav to change your fighting style.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Eagle said:
Yeah, jvolel, thats true but in turn based battles you can strategize more whereas in real time battles, you can slash the hell out of them and thats it. Very hard to push a button a gazillion times to kill a creature... I think not. In the turnbased games you can select the manauver you want them to perform.

lol, then you seriously havent played any game in the seiken densetsu series. timing is of great importance because there is a meter (well in sd1,2 anyway) that fills, similar to FFs, before you can attack. madly mashing buttons wont save your arse like in diablo. as well, your thought on strategy is not necessarily right either. whats more strategic, you and 3 other guys covering each other's arse in battle, or you, alone, performing the attack, heal, attack, heal cycle?

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
what are you TALKING ABOUT!?!?!?! Zelda a disapointment?!?!?! there were some GREAT battles in zelda that involved a LOT more than hack and slash. have you ever faced shaddow Link. or battled the stalfos. or Bongo Bongo. or Kame and Kute. or the Gureudos (sp?) some of NONE of those battles are just hack and slash. STARFOX is a pound the button and win the game game. i SWEAR that there were at LEAST 50 dudes that i killed and NEVER died in the course of 10 minutes and i barely even got hit. in Zelda you gotta thnk on your feet and battle MANY different enimies at the same time.

i'm not saying turned based and common "real" RPG type battle systems are bad it's just that they give you WAY too much time to think about beating an enemy. not a whole lot of thinking on you're feet. Give me Link and Ark over Cloud and Squall ANY day!

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
pj64er said:
lol, then you seriously havent played any game in the seiken densetsu series. timing is of great importance because there is a meter (well in sd1,2 anyway) that fills, similar to FFs, before you can attack. madly mashing buttons wont save your arse like in diablo. as well, your thought on strategy is not necessarily right either. whats more strategic, you and 3 other guys covering each other's arse in battle, or you, alone, performing the attack, heal, attack, heal cycle?

yeah that too, lol i forgot about that, you couldn't hack and slash like crazy anyway cause its like your character would get tired.

Tri-Force said:
what are you TALKING ABOUT!?!?!?! Zelda a disapointment?!?!?! there were some GREAT battles in zelda that involved a LOT more than hack and slash. have you ever faced shaddow Link. or battled the stalfos. or Bongo Bongo. or Kame and Kute. or the Gureudos (sp?) some of NONE of those battles are just hack and slash. STARFOX is a pound the button and win the game game. i SWEAR that there were at LEAST 50 dudes that i killed and NEVER died in the course of 10 minutes and i barely even got hit. in Zelda you gotta thnk on your feet and battle MANY different enimies at the same time.

i'm not saying turned based and common "real" RPG type battle systems are bad it's just that they give you WAY too much time to think about beating an enemy. not a whole lot of thinking on you're feet. Give me Link and Ark over Cloud and Squall ANY day!

yup i aggree, i mean which is harder having all the time in the world to think and plan out your fight OR having to to plan out and think of your stragety as you go, meaning on your feet.

Last edited: