What's new

Nemu update

Jfletcher

Here is what is says on the Nemu homepage :

-JF

(Update 11/26/2001: I forgot to set the correct date for this post 20 days ago. Its fixed and now please stop mailing me and ask me to update the site)

Hi everyone

as you know, we (LaC and I) have both been busy with work during the last months, which slowed down development speed a lot of course. However, this does not mean Nemu is cancelled.

Especially during the last few days I was able to fix some bugs in my graphics and am now really happy with it in some games, like Zelda Ocarina of Time which looks near perfect. And as far as I can tell the speed of my gfx code is very fast. I compared it to hwnd's old video gfx, and I'd estimate it doubled - depending on the game. (keep in mind this is only video speed, not overall emu speed).

I was able to fix a few bugs in MoM which looks a lot nicer now, however - the texture loading is not perfect yet which makes some walls black - nothing that can't be figured out with some time spent on it.

LaC got some cool stuff working in his audio dll - stuff, that was unemulated before.

Now why do I write this you may wonder...?

It is not to tease you, neither I do this to announce a release. I do this so you can see we still work on it. I know Nemu is not the first choice for a lot of people anymore. But its great to see emulation progress, may it be nemu or not.

I hope the next nemu release will satisfy people as our last version did.

By the way, maybe one more reason why the update takes that long..: Over a year ago hWnd (our previous gfx coder) left the team and we didn't have anyone else. And both LaC and I didn't know too much about gfx at that time. So we hired a new coder (Atreides) which made a nice plugin for mario in a few months. However, we suddenly completely lost contact with him - I have no clue whats going with him. He lives in Japan and hope nothing bad happened to him.

Well so we lived several months with an avarage gfx plugin and didn't know how to go on. We had actually only two choices:
1. Use zilmar's project 64 plugin specifications
2. Start an own gfx code

At first we wanted to use the first option but we soon realized its not the best way to go - just look at todays emus: All use the same gfx plugin, so all look exactly as each other and lost everything that would make them unique.

Another reason for us not to use that standard is that we realized it would limit us in our freedom of designing new ideas. Some of these ideas are already implemented (like a gfx debugger which people can use to improve gfx similar to the .ini file for core compatibility and others are just ideas (like zooming into parts of the screen for multiplayer).

I also thought of making my gfx a com addin instead of the conventional dlls, because that will make the interface much cleaner.

After reading this I realized it sounds a bit like an excuse why I don't want to share dlls. Well lets put it this way - its our decision and we made it this way. But Nemu's graphics won't suffer from this because I put a lot of work into my them and they are already really nice (as you can see from those old screenshots below).

So when will the next release be? Only god knows. We need a lot of time to sort some stuff out and time is unfortunately the only thing we don't have. So I suggest you play with 0.7a or use another emulator until we make the next release. Please stop asking me all the time when the next release will be. Remember this is not competition - our goal is not to beat some other emulator. We just want to make a great emulator which emulates the console at a high quality level and can be enjoyed by people. High compatibility with near perfect gfx and new ideas are our main goals. And we want to have a unique emulator. One that is only done by LaC and me and does not look like any other emulator. I hope you can understand this. If not at least respect it.

Cheers

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Wasn't this on emulation64 the last week with two pics of Banjo Tooie running one Nemu ?

Or was that just my imagination ?

Martin

Administrator
Jfletcher said:
No, this is a different update. (11/26/01 in the message)

You are wrong. It's the exact same post, except that Lemmy fixed the date of the post.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
yeh but where there is an update, is on that site linked in yogaman's thread. it has shots of perfect dark on the new nemu. very impressive.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Doesn't matter dude everybody can make mistakes otherwise you wouldn't be a human caus we all make mistakes

StonedConker

wrong :)
hehe.just kidding.
i need to say some things right know but my English maybe are messed up like the gfx of some plugins :).First of all i can say that some isolated guys f**ck the "idea" of emulation.I am 24 years old and i have spend a long time with particular emus.Just as a fan of those and no way as a coder or attempt to write an emu code though i know a lot of coding but mostly HTML stuff.I crave for emus in the old days like callus,system16 emulating the arcade chipsets and some succesfull attempts for my lovely ATARI STe 1040 and many other amazing certain emus .It's a pleasure to watch how progress goes and this minority of kids CAN' T demand anything.That's (maybe) realityman stoped UltraHLE or maybenot.All of us knows that PJ made a clamorous boom! by the time nemu was the best emu for the majority.This is sad that progress slow down but the reason is clear because hWnd left.Anyway my opininon is that PJ rules the N64emulation but who cares...the point is that it goes further and further....
keep up the good work ! :))

that's all...hope nobody ban me (for my spelling??)that's all i wanted to say:!!!:

A

A.A

Pj64 is better

well u can think what u want but the facts r showing that PJ64
is a better emulator then Nemu64
i thought that Nemu64 was the best emulator until i saw Pj64
well try 2 c this two pictures of perfect dark(im sure i have already saw them but take i good look)
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149

PJ64 is a lot better then Nemu64(i like nemu too but what there is to do PJ is better)
:devil: :devil: :devil:

Renegade

Wearer of Army Boots
you know those pix of PD are nemu's, right?

and if you do, of course PJ64 is better than Nemu64 in many places. But Nemu also beats PJ64 in a place or two. And besides Nemu .7a is like, how many years since its release?!

A

A.A

The first realese came out on: December 11, 1998

And The last realese (0.7a) came out on:March 23, 2000

long time thats why its not such a good emulator (its good but not like:pj64: )

StonedConker

Re: Pj64 is better

A.A said:
well u can think what u want but the facts r showing that PJ64
is a better emulator then Nemu64
i thought that Nemu64 was the best emulator until i saw Pj64
well try 2 c this two pictures of perfect dark(im sure i have already saw them but take i good look)
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149

PJ64 is a lot better then Nemu64(i like nemu too but what there is to do PJ is better)
:devil: :devil: :devil:

this is what i clearly told
if you can read until the end i say that in my opinion pj64 rules the n64 emulation right now.

Zeratul

PJ64 has been releasing version every time they do an upgrade. For nemu, they have been keeping theirs for over a year and planned to release it when they are done. So do not underestimate Nemu because it will be the best there is once it comes out.

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
lets not forget the fact that pj64 1.4 is well.........

THE FINAL REALEASE SO...... lets also not forget that a few if not alot of games are not playable and a few have glitches that kinda make the game unplayable to an extent