What's new

Rom searchers

Rocketman_mab

It seems to me that a ton of the new members to this board are joining just because they are looking for ROMS. It seems like they are joining just to post those wonderful "where can i download ROMS" threads. Then flaming and all other forms of ugliness occur. Is there some sort of warning that is part of the registration? I can't remember exactly what all I had to read during registration, but if I had been looking for ROMS and I read something like- WARNING!!!! DO NOT ASK FOR ROMS OR LINKS TO ROMS- right in the registration then it would have dettered me. So what I'm saying is that I think there should be a very clear warning during registration that makes ROM requests unwelcome and therefore would hopefully stop those stupid one time poster rom requesters.

PS- How many read the subject thinking it was a ROM request?:shifty:

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
and you think that 100% of users read the rules when they are registering ?

think again

there is a rules page, it was added recently

Martin

Administrator
Rocketman_mab said:
It seems to me that a ton of the new members to this board are joining just because they are looking for ROMS. It seems like they are joining just to post those wonderful "where can i download ROMS" threads. Then flaming and all other forms of ugliness occur. Is there some sort of warning that is part of the registration? I can't remember exactly what all I had to read during registration, but if I had been looking for ROMS and I read something like- WARNING!!!! DO NOT ASK FOR ROMS OR LINKS TO ROMS- right in the registration then it would have dettered me. So what I'm saying is that I think there should be a very clear warning during registration that makes ROM requests unwelcome and therefore would hopefully stop those stupid one time poster rom requesters.

PS- How many read the subject thinking it was a ROM request?:shifty:

That's funny. Log-out and register and you will see that we do indeed have a warning about asking for roms (it's even in big bold red letters). That doesn't stop the idiots though, it seems.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
There will always be idiots who refuse to read the rules. Those people then get banned and run off somewhere else to cry about it.

OP
Rocketman_mab

Rocketman_mab

Re: Re: Rom searchers

Martin said:
That's funny. Log-out and register and you will see that we do indeed have a warning about asking for roms (it's even in big bold red letters). That doesn't stop the idiots though, it seems.

Well at least all the members are keeping it real. I don't think I have ever read a ROM request that actually got a good response. (ie-A member posts a response telling where to get ROMS) These people are really posting a lost cause. I just wish they realized that all they were doing was pissing off the real members.

petronius79

not all people want roms to harm economically the poor poor video game companies. Many people that download the emulators do it also for beta testing. Since the programmers dont have time to play a game till the end or so extensively so as to find faults etc, many users take that role of the game-through the-emulator-tester and report problems and bugs. Only for this I would support holding illegallyROMs (as if this was the only law we brake)

Now posting commercial ROM addresses is something different and I agree with your measures.

For example I never liked Nintendo 64 (too kitsch!!!) anyways and dont even spend 5 minutes for each game through Project64 or 1964. But you have to admit that if so many users didnt hold so many ROMS illegally, Project64 or 1964 or any other emulator would not have improved that much.

You have to distinguish between that ROM seeker and the other who wants the game so much but doesnt want to buy it cause he can get it in a ROM and an emulator already. Why eg download a Sony Playstation ISO when you can buy now the majority of the games for 8 £?