What's new

Help!

killthegene

One Kool dude
I really need some help with mupen (actuly its an issue with opengl i think)
anyway all open gl games (including tux racer and cronium and of course mupen) seem to run at a very low fps. I have a GForce 2 and mandrake GPL 9.0 I had the same problem with mandrake 8.2 however an earlier instalation of redhat 7.2 did not. I am using the GForce2 generic drivers that come with mandrake. also i have mupen for windows and it works fine. could some body please help

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Default drivers doesn't have opengl support so all your opengl applications are running in software mode actually. You should try to install nvidia proprietary drivers. You can find them in their official web sites. Read carefully all the instructions before trying to install it, and if u have any questions ask it here ;)

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
Thanks for the advice (as you can probally see im a linux newbie)

I was wondering if you are currently working on mupen or if you are concentrating your efforts on UHLE 2

bjl667

C\C++
If your getting slow FPS go to the nvidia sight download the driver source code compile them following the included instructions that should fix your FPS problem.... You need the kernel source code from the cd installed to compile the drivers also...

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
Ive downloaded the drivers (the kernel one i had to download the source for) the instructions say something about the kernel headers and including them however i am not sure what to do. i have never compiled any linux source in my life! (although several windows sources of my own creation)

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Ok all you need is to install the kernel headers, it's only one package to install from your distribution. Or if you don't have it, you have to install complete linux source code.

I think it's better to shutdown xwindow while installing it, not sure...

To compile, you just have to follow instructions provided by nvidia, not very hard i think ;)

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
Im not sure at all how to install the kernel headers. i can install the rpms fine but i cant seem to install or even find these headers

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Please post exactly what you have done, for example i'm not sure which rpm you are talking about...

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
i have done nothing so far. i can install the rpms of the drivers when i have to buthave not attempted to yet because i dont know about these kernel headers

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Try to install nvidia drivers, if it tells you that you need kernel headers then install it.. But anyway you don't have to do anything with kernel headers manually. If you really want to know where it's installed, it should be in /usr/src/linux or something similar.

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
so i should install the kernel headers by installing the rpm on the distros cd and then install the drivers as instructed.

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
Ive done all that but when I installed the GLX rpm it said there were possible conflicts with:

libglx.a

libGLcore.a

libGL.so.1.2

and then said it would rename then to xxx.rpmsave

and that these were something to do with the mesa driver.

now when i try to start x it comes up with an error blaming it on GLX.

I know that mesa is an openGL thing so I assume it must be something to do withs those libs

Im not sure what I have to do but I think the problem was I had the wrong GLX RPM and so I will have to build one from source howvere im not sure so please help

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
No it's normal, don't worry about it, nvidia opengl overwrite the software opengl. Now did u install correctly kernel module ? And did u modify correctly you xf86config file ?

If not please refer to the readme file provided by nvidia... (you should change the driver name to the new one, and tell xwindow to load glx module, but i guess this second thing is already done as you're getting these warning messages)

You'll know it works when you'll see the nvidia logo when xwindow starts

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
the kernel driver was installed correctly (no errors anyway)

I will try reading the readme and runing xf66config

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
err no don't run this tool it can do wrong things, you only have to edit one configuration file (that is probably named xf86config-4, if u're running a redhat based distro, it should be located at /etc/X11), i think that it's well explained in nvidia readme

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
I followed the readme but to no avail. X still crashes. could it be that the kernel rpm ends with .i586.rpm whilst the glx rpm ends with i386.rpm? I am using an amd processor could this make a difference?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It shouldn't be a problem at all but could u give me exactly what's the error message please ?

OP
killthegene

killthegene

One Kool dude
sorry Hacktarux
I restarted mandrake and vola: it works perfectly. for the first time i was able to play your emu properly!

congrats on a great emu!

one other question:

are you concentrating all your efforts on UHLE2 or are you still working on mupen?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Of course i'm still working on mupen64 ! I've made some progress but i don't have time to finalize something to release currently... I'm working (and learning) from both projects. They are quite different, that's why it's interesting to work on both :)